I'm intensely introspective, and slightly narcissistic. I am much more of course, but it's for those two reasons I created this blog today, with two main objectives:
1) Document my mental/spiritual/emotional progress and reflect on said progressions.
2) Observe my evolution.
Blogging seems to be the most logical way to accomplish those objectives, because the public nature of a blog reinforces me to stay sharp whilst documenting my life, and my narcissism insists that I showcase my blossoming self.
Keeping a journal is a reasonable option, but I've tried that. Daily journal entries are too redundant for me because by the time it's on paper, I have already psychoanalyzed the ventilation and moved on. I started a journal around age 9, and it was fascinating at the time. For some reason, I had the obligatory need to tell my journal everything - which got old fast. I was recapping conversations with my sister about Nickelodeon commercials, and inserting excerpts from notes I passed during school that day. I think I even used time stamps and told "Diary" everything from juvenile make-out fantasies to what kind of magnifying glass I would use when investigating the cleaning lady. At the time, that was just what I needed. I am now 23 going on 34, and far too aloof to indulge in a journal; not to mention the fact I would forget where it's hidden. Personally, I think I will benefit from the writing exercise for the mysterious public that happens upon this page, far more than I would a private journal entry. (Dream journals, on the other hand, are another post entirely.) That is not to say I discredit the value of a daily journal/diary, and it's psychological foundations in clarity and peace of mind. I will admit; the open forum for profanity and gossip, in the privacy of my very own tiger-striped journal, was a huge relief in middle school.
It's been ten years since my last journal entry, which isn't something I'm either happy or sad about. I am most articulate via the written word, and I should have been documenting my semi-enchanting life all the while. Fortunately, my impeccable photographic memory has done most of the work for me, only letting a fraction of my life slip through the cracks. My sentimentality is curious about all I've forgotten, but my intellect is grateful for the mystery and has the wisdom to let the invisible blips of experience lie in peace. Many a time these phantom memories will suddenly appear to remind us of why we forgot, or integrate themselves with current events and stay for good. Some things aren't to be meddled with, and repressed memories are one of them. So for now, I will blog about what I do, foresee, and remember; and leave all else to the system it is in.
Plus, I won't be digging or shedding a tear for an afternoon of fruitless channel surfing, or a lonely night by the telephone. Wait...I remember most of those.
Monday, February 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




very articulate. you paint a picture with your lovely words. i hope you can keep it up. I was great my first year and I've since pooped out. Maybe I'll start up once again!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! I'm a bit timid about it, although very excited. I am also in danger of ditching it, but I love writing and have no other outlets for it, so I think that will be enough to keep me at it. Good to know people actually read it! :) You should most definitely start again.
ReplyDeleteI will read this! You're going to keep it up if I have anything to say about it...
ReplyDelete